Thursday, March 22, 2012

One Year Anniversary

Here we all are, one year later! Praise. the. Lord. What a difference a year makes.
March 21, 2011
March 22, 2011
March 22, 2012
This time last year we were in Pittsburgh and Thatcher and I were both recovering in the ICU. Just the day before he was the sickest he has ever been, I had my original liver in tact, and we were preparing for his liver transplant at UPMC. We spent a grueling 8 weeks in Pittsburgh before coming home to my new life as a stay at home mom to care for my children, one of which was now on immune suppression. The first year post transplant has been filled with close monitoring, on the constant look out for infection or rejection. We have been hospitalized a couple of times for a biopsy and 1 fever, but certainly less than before transplant. Thatcher's quality of life has improved immensely and, like many parents, we do our best to make sure our kids have the best possible life they can.

While beyond grateful for the outcome and progress Thatcher has made, I would not re-live the last year for anything. This time of year will always be special to us. Spring is certainly a time of new beginnings, new blooms, warm weather, the celebration of our Lord's rising on Easter Sunday, and a new beginning for Thatcher. Happy re-birthday son!!

For me, I felt as though we have been holding our breath since transplant. Time is a big indication of transplant success so today marks a bit of an exhalation, a little relief, and all the hope in the world that Thatcher is going to be ok and live a long, quality life. I get choked up just typing this...Thatcher is going to be ok!!

Of course we can not be certain of the future. Of the many lessons we have been blessed with along this journey, one is to not worry unecessarily about the future and things we cannot control. Trust in the Lord, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11. In fact, today's reading in Jesus Calling started off:

REJOICE AND BE THANKFUL! As you walk with me through the day, practice trusting and thanking Me all along the way. Trust is the channel through which My Peace flows into you. Thankfulness lifts you up above your circumstances.

Who can worry right?! We have experienced our share of worry but continue to pray for faith along this journey.

I have hoped this day would be coming for sometime now and have wondered how to celebrate his transplant anniversary. I've thought about everything from liver shaped cakes to having a re-birthday party! Instead I think we'll celebrate together as a family and stick a candle in a cupcake for his 1 year liver birthday. I also got him some tulips since that is what BJ sent me in the hospital and it is such a beautiful spring flower. I guess the point of today is to be grateful. Grateful for Thatcher's health and successful transplant, grateful that I could give to him and no one had to die to donate his organ, and grateful my surgery went well and I am well.

Besides giving Thatch a big 'ole hug today, we also think about and remember everyone who was there for us and still ask about Thatcher!! It is overwhelming. All the cards and gifts we received while in Pittsburgh, all the donations, everyone who helped and donated to Link 4 Life, our family who traveled with us, especially my sister and parents who brought Amelia to come visit, our dear friends who came all the way to Pittsburgh to be with us during surgery and visit afterwards. All the prayers...we will never know!!!

For these and other reasons, I think it's time to end this blog on a happy note. While we have alot of pictures, this blog is a good reminder of all the emotional highs and lows we experienced. At times I would like to forgot, but I hope it gets easier as time goes on. We are starting the next chapter...we even sold our home last month (another reason why I have not blogged in a while) which was bittersweet. It was the home where we brought our babies home, but there have been alot of tears shed in that house worrying for Thatcher's health.

The many sad moments are becoming memories now. Thatcher may never be completely out of the woods since rejection is always possible, but we will continue to live our lives to the fullest - washing our hands and taking our medicine. Living with a transplant is never something one forgets completely. In fact, we go to the endocronologist on the 10th to check and see how his thyroid level is doing on his new medicine. He does have an egg allergy and over sized adnoids due to his immune suppressing medication, but no indications he feels anything but good so we'll keep going until we hear otherwise. Definitely grateful for this day, March 22, 2012.

Here's a little montage I put together of Thatcher's first year of life. While some of the images are hard to look at, I love watching his skin and eyes get white. However, it is certainly noticeable how sick he got before transplant... then how much he plumped up afterward!

2 comments:

  1. I know you are rejoicing that you can say 1 year has passed and Thatcher is continuing to do great. I am so happy for you guys and can only imagine how emotional today was for you all remembering everything that each of you went through to get to this point. I know that Thatcher isn't completely out of the woods, but what an accomplishment to have made it a year without rejection or other complications! Hooray!!! So happy you sold your home. I can only imagine how emotional that was as well. I continue to pray for you guys and I would love to see you soon! Maybe once we get into the summer and Connor's baseball is over we can arrange something :-) We are loving all of the sweet clothes from Amelia for Livi! They are so sweet and I can never thank you enough!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I'm Candace my daughter loralei was diagnosed with BA at 3 weeks! She is doing great kasai only at 4 months
    Are you a member of the group liveR????? On Facebook ?

    ReplyDelete