Saturday, February 26, 2011

The World’s First Successful Living-Donor Liver Transplant

(This picture cracks me up! I hope BJ and I get to look back on something similar for our story one day)

The internet is such a double edged sword. While we can educate ourselves on any topic imaginable, we are also bombarded with uncensored information when ignorance can truly be bliss. As I have mentioned, I learned very quickly to only “google” successful liver transplant stories. In doing so, I ran across this story of Alyssa – the first successful living-donor transplant: http://www.uchicagokidshospital.org/specialties/transplant/patient-stories/alyssa-liver.html

I LOVE this story and it cheers me up every time I read it! I hope and pray we have a similar story one day. I would love to be able to share it and give hope to others. If you don’t get a chance to read it, it is the story of the first successful living-donor liver transplant that occurred in 1990. The mother donated a piece of her liver to her daughter Alyssa who had biliary atresia. Alyssa was around 1 year old at the time of her transplant. At the time this story was written in 09, Alyssa was in college. I love the attitude the family seemed to have about the whole thing and how normal it sounds like Alyssa’s life turned out to be.

Thank God you for the living-donor option. I pray Thatcher is healed and that our transplant is a success!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Jessie. I just found your blog this morning. Wow. I wanted to quickly comment on this post just to say amen. My mom was diagnosed with a rare cancer in November, and yeah, you do not want to go haphazardly Googling stuff like that. In fact, I've not looked it up again since that first day.

    I look forward to reading more about your journey.

    --Mandy (Spears) Pellegrin

    ReplyDelete