Monday, April 4, 2011

Out with the Old...

We got the opportunity to see Thatcher's old liver today. WOW, it looked even worse than we had imagined. We got to compare it to a healthy liver.
Healthy Liver
Thatcher's Old Liver
Pretty nasty, huh?! Both livers have been cut for different reasons and Thatcher's had a big hole in it from being biopsied for the final diagnosis. The green color is from the bile trapped inside. It was slightly enlarged and much harder than a ahealthy liver should be. The healthy example wasn't exactly the right color as it had been preserved. A healthy liver is usually a little pinker. These are both children livers. We also got to see a larger liver, where we could see the different arteries and gallbladder more closely.
Underside of larger healthy liver - showing the arteries the surgeons had to reconnect
It was kind of sad to see. It made us realize how sick Thatcher really was. He had only had his liver for 7 months. Thank GOD they could fix him and that nasty thing is no longer inside his little body.

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow! He looks soooo happy! I am so thankful for the success so far and amazed at God's miracles! I hope both of you continue to recover well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was totally like "Gross Jess!" Haha! Then I saw Mr. T's sweet face. Gosh he just makes my day! Such a beautiful picture of you two. Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessie...those pictures are just crazy! I can't believe that was inside him!!! Thank God that you were able to save him! Thatcher looks absolutely wonderful!!! I can't get over it. It is like he was never sick, and he never had surgery! Look at him sitting up and playing...and that smile! You guys look so terrific and I am so so thankful for God's blessings and healing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessie, You guys look so good in your pictures. It is so good to see such big smiles on yalls faces!!!! Still praying...Lots of love
    Kendra and Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a blog creeper and check up on you guys everyday. I went to school with Treslyn, and have been follow since I saw the Link4Life info on FB. I'm so glad that all this is working out for you. After seeing his old liver, I could just cry. What a blessing ya'll have received.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing that nasty old liver brought tears to my eyes. Poor little guy! No wonder he felt so rotten - it's enough to make you sick just looking at it. I AM SO THANKFUL to GOD that YOUR liver was perfect for him!

    The picture of you two is beautiful - I have never seen you look lovelier, Jess. And I know that comes from the joy in knowing your precious baby is safe and healthy now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow. Just wow. I am SO GLAD that your sweet boy is better!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You both look beautiful! We have been praying for you and all that have a hand in this miracle! Love, The Pezzis

    ReplyDelete