Monday, November 14, 2011

Biopsy

Today has been a LONG day. Thatcher is finally asleep and I'm heading there myself. Since today was a scheduled procedure, I did not realize we would be waiting around so long...why was I surprised! I was so worried about Thatcher not being able to eat before his procedure, but this did not seem to bother him tremendously, thank God! Every hospital stay is just a little different as Thatcher grows up and he was much easier to entertain yet much more active this time.

Thatcher was poked 3 times trying to get the IV even though he was given a small dose of medicine to make him groggy. This is heart breaking. I'll spare Thatcher the future embarrassment, but we do have his little dopey time on video...hilarious :) - not sure why kids on drugs are so funny!! Once they finally got him under, the biopsy went as expected lasting only about 30 minutes. Since the liver is so vascular, they place the needle using ultrasound technology and get only a small cylindrical piece - about the width of a paper clip once unfolded. After Thatch woke up, we were in holding for aound 5 LONG hours.

Long story short, we were told the biopsy showed no signs of damage to the liver or inflamation meaning there was no rejection. I knew not to jump up and down since Thatcher's liver function numbers are not doing what they are supposed to. However, we are not starting Prednisone and may go home tomorrow pending the results of his ultrasound. I'll post an update once we have a better idea of what's going on. In the meantime, Thatcher's labs were better this evening and I'm praying they figure this all out soon and it is not any worse than rejection.

2 comments:

  1. I heard the news from Kristy and was so glad to hear it isn't rejection! I know you all are still worried since his numbers aren't right...Praying they figure that out and it is a simple fix!!! So glad the procedure went as well. I can't imagine being in a hospital with Braden at this point...bless your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic news!!! I think about the four of you often and hope that little Thatcher gets to 100% soon!

    ReplyDelete