Friday, November 11, 2011

Rejection

Thatcher's labs were not good yesterday, indicating likely rejection. Pretty much all of the numbers were elevated significantly. This is always a punch in the gut to see when I pull up his labs online. We are scheduled for a biopsy at 9AM Monday morning and should know if it is in fact rejection by that afternoon. If so, we will begin IV meds to treat him over a 5 day period. We will then come home on a steroid taper that will likely last through the holidays/flu season meaning Thatcher will need to be even more careful about germs while his immune system is "extra" suppressed.
This is the anticipated course of action so we will make plans accordingly and deal if things happen differently. It's hard to be positive sometimes, but I'm so thankful they can treat him so effectively. I'm also very thankful that Thatcher is not in any pain and will likely have a great weekend. I'm also super happy that we should be dishcarged and out for Thanksgiving. As always, thank goodness we live so close to Vanderbilt.
That said, please keep our family in your prayers. Thatcher will be put under anesthesia so cannot eat after midnight Sunday. Once the procedure is over, we will likely just being hanging out all week for the IV meds. Being in the hospital is always trying. I miss Amelia and hate sleeping there with nurses coming in and out to check vitals through the night. The high dose of Prednisone at first can make the kids a little "kooky" or moody but will hopefully taper off as the dose reduces. I'm also kind of dreading keeping Thatcher in his bed while he's hooked up to the IV and couped up in 1 room. At least we have the weekend to prepare and maybe this time next week this will all be behind us and we'll be coming home.

1 comment:

  1. Jessie...I am so sad to read this. I was just reading it to Brad. I will be praying for you guys as you get ready to enter the hospital and pray that Thatcher is in the least discomfort possible. Poor guy! Poor you...I am so sorry again. I know this is not what you were wanting to hear. You guys are so tough and I know you will get through this no problem! Praying and thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete