Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Little Stinker

Thatcher was a skunk for Halloween
When asked how Thatcher is doing lately, I reply that he is doing well, which is pretty much the case. There is still 1 lab they are watching closely, and if it does not drop within range soon we will need to do a biopsy. As always, he makes me nervous, always worrying about catching a bug, whether we should take him certain places, etc., but we try to enjoy our time at home together and make the best decisions we can about going out.
I was supposed to be Bambi along with Flower the skunk and Thumper the rabbit
Of the 3 main liver labs they watch (AST, ALT, and GGTP), Thatcher's AST has been hovering above range since the summer. The other 2 numbers have been good except for the bump last time. That said, according to the doctors, the AST is not as liver specific as the other two numbers. Meaning there are other factors that can affect the AST. I'm sure it gets even more complicated than this, regardless, it's been in the 50s and 60s and needs to get to 40 or lower.
The coordinator also commented that, unlike other organs, the liver offers more blood indicators than kidneys, heart, or lung so it does not have to be biopsied as often. In other words, Thatcher's bloodwork says alot about how his liver is functioning without having to actually look at the liver tissue. I am greatful for this. That said, this AST seems to have the docs a bit confused so they may have to go in and see what's up. They adjusted his medicine (reduced it actually in case there was some liver toxicity going on from his dose) to see if this would get the AST to lower. It does not necessarily mean it's rejection, but I'm more than anxious to get labs Thursday. Thatch once again has the signs of a small cold so I'm not sure if that will bode well for his liver function numbers...we will see tomorrow.
As always I'm praying that Thatcher is completely healed and he gets to live a very long quality life. I guess I'm kind of worried this week, but we have gotten better at going about our lives and waiting for something to react to instead of just worry. We were told early in the process that this would be a lifestyle. I guess this is what they meant. I remember when they told us that. I did not want this to be a part of our lives, but having come to terms with many things, I think we get to live a good life...especially compared to what it could be and what it was!
More than anything I want Thatcher to be healthy of course, but selfishly, I would also like to be home Thanksgiving and Christmas...just a small request :). We were in the hospital last Thanksgiving for elevated white blood counts. We have not been admitted since July, and even if we were somehow in the hospital over Thanksgiving, I wouldn't go back to last Thanksgiving for anything (yet I may need to be reminded of this at times)!! Regardless of this weeks labs,there is so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving - that's for sure!

1 comment:

  1. Awe...Jessie this has to be tough. The ups and downs and never knowing what's coming. I will pray for his labs to get better so you don't have to worry and that you are not admitted over the holidays. Love the costumes! They are both so stinkin cute...no pun intended (skunk). Haha! I know you had fun getting to enjoy this Halloween much more than last year! I heard you sold your house too...that's great!

    ReplyDelete