Sunday, February 20, 2011

Flip Book

While we do not want Thatcher’s condition to define him or our family, it certainly impacts us all, including Amelia. Many people have asked how she is handling this, which is big concern for me as well. Currently, she does not have much of a clue that anything is “wrong.” She sees Thatcher take his medicine everyday, but when we are home and living our daily routine of work and sitter, Amelia is the typical big sister who will kiss Thatcher on the head one minute then take his toy the next :).

Amelia & Thatcher
No doubt, this is a part of her life as well and will mold her into the person she is meant to be just like the rest of us. (I think she or Thatcher will become doctors and help other sick kids one day :)). Since Thatcher’s first hospitalization in September, Amelia has had to deal with mommy or daddy being gone for a few nights. She’s been to visit Thatcher in the hospital a few times as well.

Amelia visiting Thatcher - Thanksgiving 2010

This quickly taught us that hospitals are not very good places for toddlers! While she matures a little more each day, she will likely be around 2 ½ years old when the transplant occurs. I have asked doctors and family and friends for their opinions on how best to handle, and how to help Amelia handle, our long stay in Pittsburgh. Amelia loves pictures, so one suggestion I liked was to make a picture book to remind Amelia how much we love her even when we’re not around or just remind her of home when she’s in Pittsburgh with us. Below are some pictures from the flip book I made her:
I hope to not have to be away from Amelia for very long periods of time, but it is impossible to care for a toddler in a hospital and really not fair to expect Amelia to behave in that setting. I also do not want to shuffle Amelia around between people she may not know very well on top of uprooting her. It scares me to think of her traveling such a long distance without me or BJ too. These are all things I pray will work out. We are so fortunate to have great help, especially from our parents. No doubt it will be difficult, but I hope to manage to make a home in Pittsburgh as best we can for a little while.

2 comments:

  1. I just LOVE her! What a gift for blogging you have! Thank you for all of these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious, precious pictures and what a great idea! Thatcher REALLY looks like BJ in the second picture from the top!!! And that Amelia, well, what can I say - she is just SPECIAL!!!

    ReplyDelete