Sunday, February 27, 2011

Thank Me for Your Problems

One of the many lessons we are learning, and of particular significance to me, is not to worry about things out of our control and to live in the present moment. Sometimes the present is quite scary but most other times it is enjoyable. Unfortunately I have spent too many enjoyable moments worried about the future and impending transplant. It is on our minds constantly.

Living in the present requires a greatful attitude and counting our MANY blessings. It also calls for patience. Our timing is not God's timing so I try to stay positive in the meantime. This is all easy to say, but not so easy to do. I have found comfort in the popular book by Sara Young, Jesus Calling, that revolves around this theme of thankfulness and living in the present. It is a daily devotional based on scripture meant to enrich one’s personal relationship with Christ.


I remember one day in particular that it brought me much needed comfort. It was the day I found out that Thatcher might begin to itch with this condition. I was devastated to think of him in this uncomfortable state. My mind began racing from one terrible thought to the next...Dear God, please don’t let my baby suffer. I wanted to be comforted, told it was going to be ok, so I opened this book and here is what I read:

THANK ME FOR YOUR PROBLEMS. As soon as your mind gets snagged on a difficulty, bring it to Me with thanksgiving. Then ask Me to show you My way to handle the situation. The very act of thanking Me releases your mind from its negative focus. As you turn your attention to Me, the problem fades in significance and loses its power to trip you up. Together we can deal with the situation, either facing it head-on or putting it aside for later consideration.

Most of the situations that entangle your mind are not today's concerns; you have borrowed them from tomorrow. In this case, I lift the problem out of today and deposit it in the future, where it is veiled from your eyes. In its place, I give you My Peace, which flows freely from My Presence.

~ Philippians 4:5; John 14:27

Peace is a gift that I pray for often. Thank God so much of this is out of our hands and in the Lord's hands. Even though, it is still hard to have Faith in God's plan. Through His Peace and our many blessings, I'm reminded daily of His control and loving presence. I think God speaks to us...between this and my fortune cookie, I'm a BELIEVER :).
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.6

4 comments:

  1. Last night our gospel was Matthew 6:24-34. Now, you know me and I don't spout "Chapter and verse!" but it is one of my favorite. Father said it reminded him of the song "Don't worry, be Happy" and it lifted a lot of my worries. If we let God be first, all else will fall into place and we will have what we need to live our lives. Love you! Thank you for the visit. Amelia and Thatcher are so wonderful! I just can't believe how big they are getting. Amelia is so sweet and funny and Thatcher just cracked me up when he got excited about Diego!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessie! Please know I have been keeping up with Thatcher through Kathy and now your blog. I was thrilled when I read you were a match. Kathy gave me your phone number and I plan to call you soon. Cain has a heart cath on Thursday so I've been keeping myself as busy as possible trying not to think and worry about it too much. I loved this blog post and think I needed it tonight. Praying for you and Thatcher and looking forward to talking with you soon.
    Catherine Clinkscales

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessie...this is exactly what I have been praying for, for you! Peace! I know there must be 1000 things running through your mind and I pray for the peace that you can enjoy these days which are so precious as Thatcher continues to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am late catching up - but I've read all the posts, and this one in particular struck me, because the book "Jesus Calling" was just recommended to me by Pastor Amanda. It's on my "must read" list. I know I will benefit from it, as well. Although I haven't checked in much lately, you are never out of our thoughts. So the countdown has begun ... our prayers are with you in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete