Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Normal

This is not normal. Since the day we came home after Thatcher’s first surgery with an overwhelming amount of medicine to give twice daily, medicine has become normal to poor Thatcher. I’ll never forget the look on BJ’s face as he sorted through the sack full of meds and syringes and list of directions. I sometimes worry Thatcher feels like he is being punished as I squirt syringe after syringe full of smelly medicine down his little gullet, but sadly this is really all he knows.

His meds have fluctuated post surgery but consist mostly of supplements since his body has a hard time absorbing the proper nutrition from his food. We are up to 9 meds now thanks to an additional round of something Pittsburgh prescribed to prevent Thatcher from getting chicken pox from BJ’s shingles to be given 4x/day. His meds consist of Vitamin K, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Multi-Vitamin, Zinc, Actigal (a bile binder...whatever that means), antibiotic, medicine for itching, and now a round of chicken pox prevention. Poor guy! We HATE medicine and hope that this part will at least get better with fewer meds after transplant. (He can get down to 2 meds/day about 6 months post transplant). I worry so much about the long term affects of all of this. I know post-transplant medication has its own set of side effects I won’t go into, but I try to push these thoughts out of my mind because we really do not have a choice. Thatcher needs these medicines to survive.

It’s very hard to feel “normal” most of the time when all this medicine, the whole ordeal really, has consumed our life. It is increasingly more difficult to concentrate on anything else but the impending transplant. I do not want this disease to define our family or Thatcher so we work hard to continue to enjoy normal, boring things. Boring is nice for us.

Poor Thatcher also has to contend with normal baby things like teething. I knew it was coming, but look what I found Sunday... Thatcher was not acting like himself Saturday and kept me up most of the last few nights. He had a low grade fever, but unlike “normal” kids, a fever means a trip to the ER for us. We are supposed to call if it reaches 100.5. We skirted this temp and I am holding my breath hoping that it is teeth causing the problem, not an infection. I hate to see him uncomfortable but of all the meds we give, oddly enough, he is not supposed to have much Tylenol and NO ibuprofen. Tylenol is processed through the liver and ibuprofen in the kidneys. The kidneys need to be preserved for post-transplant meds that can be hard on them. Geez! To add to our worry, Thatcher cannot undergo surgery unless he is healthy so the closer we get to transplant the more important it is to keep him healthy.

I guess everything is relative. We feel normal, even somewhat healthy, in the hospital around other sick children, but I find it hard to be around normal children sometimes too. Even Amelia reminds me how easy it would be if Thatcher did not have this disease. I don’t mean to sound negative because we, unlike so many families with sick children, have HOPE for the future. Here is a verse a co-worker recently shared with me:

“Be Joyful in Hope, Patient in Affliction, and Faithful in Prayer.” Romans 12:12

Along with Thatcher’s healing, I have always prayed that Thatcher will not suffer. I also pray for our peace. There just doesn’t seem to be an end. A transplant is a lifelong commitment. I just hope it’s a happy life. I think it is important to stay positive, but it is very difficult. There are many complications and things that could go wrong with surgery and recovery. Not to mention they tell you that rejection is always a possibility. Today I pray for Thatcher to have a good quality and normal life, ours too.

6 comments:

  1. How exciting!! A new little tooth. And that is the MOST PRECIOUS FACE I HAVE EVER SEEN!! What a beautiful, beautiful child!
    God bless you girl. I CANNOT imagine all of the "stuff" you are going through. Day by day you all are being placed on more and more prayer lists. You are being lifted up to the Lord by many that do not even know you personally, but know you all as children of God. I DO BELIEVE in the power of prayer because I've seen it work! Keep thinking those positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad he has those teeth cut. Perhaps that will bring a bit of relief! Honestly, he could not be any more precious! Things will get better. Thank you for your update! Love you all! ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got the link to your blog and have read it. Know that you are in the thoughts and prayers of many people who love and care about you. May God give you strength to deal with each new day. In 2 Corinthians 12:9 Christ says, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

    I have a friend who is in her mid 30's who recently had a double lung transplant (about 9 months ago). She had a very rare lung disease (LAM for short). She has two daughters, they are ages 8 and 14. She did remarkably well and I was glad I was able to experience such a miracle.

    "The reward of our faith will be to see what we believe."

    Blessings to you, Amanda Horn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessie,
    When I first saw your post and your picture of all of the meds it reminded me of a post that I did when Connor was going through all of his allergy problems. I was extremely frustrated and anxious because we couldn't seem to get it under control and understand what was causing his hives and reactions. Then I thought about how this is something that you will have to deal for the rest of Thatcher's life and how serious his condition is. My heart goes out to you. There is no worse feeling than having to fill your poor child who doesn't understand full of medicines. How exciting he has a tooth! Braden has been having a rough time too but still no teeth.
    I love the bible verse! You should post that one somewhere so that you can see it daily and be reminded of it. I am praying that you guys get the results of your testing and find out if you can indeed be the donor. I am still praying for everything to work out and that you can find some kind of normal for your family. I hope your lives become very boring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so wonderful to see you post a picture of beautiful Thatcher and his tooth!

    You said, "it's all relative" and you are right. Most of us take "normal" for granted. First teeth, first steps, first haircuts, first days of school, even things like Tylenol and Ibuprofen, we don't think about wreaking havoc on our bodies like they can Thatcher's. We open a cap when we have an ache or pain, and swallow it down, assuming it will do its job. Then, when it does, we forget about it.

    Normal, you see, has a lot of drawbacks. No, your lives are not "normal" by most definitions. Your "normal" is special in its own way - every little thing will be much more appreciated by you, your awareness is heightened in ways you would not otherwise experience, and your love will be expanded more and more. Not to say you wouldn't rather be "normal" and "average" and "boring", but it is obvious by your postings that your new "normal" comes with blessings and realizations, WHICH IN TURN bring each of us blessings and realizations. I know you would prefer not to have them under these circumstances, but you are such a gift in Thatcher's life, and in ours, and your postings are having far-reaching effects.

    I hope and pray you understand what I meant. I am praying for a more average normal for you all and a healing for Thatcher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BJ and Jessie, we think of you often and have Thatcher and your family in our prayers. We keep up with Thatcher's progress through your blog. Thanks for sharing with us. Bryan, Tracy and family

    ReplyDelete