Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Weekend

I wasn't sure what to title this post - Amelia's Back, Rejection, Link 4 Life, Re-Admitted, or Happy Easter...it's been a little hectic around here since Tuesday! My parents arrived safely with Amelia around lunch on Wednesday. I was SO excited to see them that Tuesday seemed to take forever! Amelia's face was priceless when she came in the door. She was just excited as I was. Nothing is better than a big Amelia hug!!
Amelia in the playroom at Ronald McDonald
It was wonderful to see Amelia and my parents over the weekend. Even though it's a little difficult to parent on a visiting basis and outside of Amelia's familiar surroundings (especially the hospital), I wouldn't trade the time with her. Friday marked 1 month since the transplant and 1 month that we've been away from home. Needless to say, I'm very homesick so a little dose of home was an Easter gift. Mom was a God send! She even got up with Thatcher every night to let me sleep.
My babies!!


We had clinic as usual on Thursday morning, but Thatcher's labs were not good. His liver labs were elevated, indicating the first signs of rejection. They warned us about this, but it was still very hard to hear. I was told that this is expected this close to transplant. The first step to address the elevated liver labs is to begin oral steroids (Prednisone). Unfortunately, a side effect of steroids can be an elevated blood pressure (this is also a potential side effect of his immunosuprression medication Prograf so Thatcher's bp's have been slightly elevated anyway).


In order to monitor his bp, I was told to walk Thatcher to clinic every day to get his blood pressure taken. We began Prednisone Thursday evening and his blood pressure was elevated Friday morning. While it was elevated, I'm almost certain Friday's reading was inaccurate and the nurse should have taken it manually in the arm. Anyway...this reading sent us to the ER from 10am to 6pm until we were FINALLY admitted. Not such a "good" Friday I guess.


Thatch in the hospital


We spent Saturday and today monitoring pressures and trying to find the right bp medication. He also had an ultrasound of his kidneys (which apparently control blood pressure) and liver which both looked good. They got some better bp readings today so we were finally discharged. It looks like the steroid is bringing his liver levels down so they have decreased it already, but he may be on that for a little while. He is now on some blood pressure medication as well.


While this is our first experience with the supposed rejection, I'm sure there will be other episodes. This whole experience is such a roller coaster. I will have to admit, I'm disappointed at how I handled this first round. I was impatient, discouraged, frustrated, sad, etc. I will have to get some thicker skin for this first or several years post transplant. Thatcher is really doing remarkably well. I realize this especially when we are back in the hospital as inpatients. It is so important to remember our blessings.


One HUGE blessing took place on Saturday. Although I wasn't able to attend, the Link 4 Life 5k was a big success with a few hundred people in attendance (wow!!). What an honor for sweet Thatcher!! Words can't really express our gratitude. BJ was there and simply overwhelmed by the turn out and support. We are both so touched. Thatcher is one lucky little boy to have such awesome support from the community, family, and friends. Although it's not enough to say so, thank you to everyone who worked so hard to make the event such a success and thank you to everyone who came out. Know that it is much appreciated and all donations will be used to help heal Thatcher along his transplant journey. We'll remind Thatcher every day of his LONG life just how special he is!! Here are just a few pics my sister snapped.


Unfortunately, we weren't able to make it to church as we had planned today, but the Easter Bunny still visited Pittsburgh :). My parents worked hard to give me as much time with Amelia as possible, which I really appreciated. They left around lunch today and arrived home safely this evening.
Amelia and her Easter basket
We have clinic in the morning. I pray for better labs and patience through this process. I'll keep you posted...


6 comments:

  1. A belated Happy Easter from Adam, myself and the kids! We miss you! Glad you got to see Amelia this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I justed wanted to say it was amazing saturday! We are all in Greenbrier praying for your family and Little Thatcher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to your posts. So in awe at what your family is going through and how you are handling it. Just know you are loved back home and we hope to have you back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you and Thatcher had such a hard weekend, but SO GLAD that you got to see Amelia. Oh Jessie, Saturday was so amazing! I hope someone sent you videos. Johnny, Joe, Darlene, Amber and I were so overwhelmed at the HUGE turnout. It was so touching. Just goes to show you how important you all are in everyone's lives and how loved you all are. Just unbelievable! Amber and I walked the course and I lived to tell about it! We can't wait to see ya'll home. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessie, I am so sorry for this little set back but so glad that it is all working itself out. We were with Jerry and Robin this weekend and were talking about you guys and how amazing it is that Thatcher is doing so well. I don't think you need to be disappointed in yourself at all. It is only natural that you feel the way you do when these things happen. I am sure you handled it so much better than I ever could. I get so frustrated about Braden's reflux, etc. so I can only imagine how you feel. It is so hard being the parent and having to be the tough one sometimes. I am so glad you got to visit with Amelia! What an amazing turnout the 5K turned out to be...awesome!!! I hate that we missed it :(( Hang in there girl! Prayers are still coming your way!

    ReplyDelete