Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's out there! It's a special job, responsibility, and privilege to be Amelia and Thatcher's mom. Like most mothers would say, it's the hardest job I've ever had, but I learned from the best! My mom is a mom in the most traditional sense of the word. She's the ultimate care giver and one of the most patient people I know. She's the person I call to vent to and is really the glue that holds our family together. Love you ma!
Mom & Thatcher


I've only been a mom a couple of years now, but it is a role that defines me. Maybe it shouldn't so much, but this past year my kids have needed me more than ever, and I thank God I can be there for them. Even though I've had to be far from Amelia since the surgery, I'm blessed that she has been able to visit fairly often.


In fact, I got to have both my babies here with me this Mother's Day! Amelia and BJ came up Thursday and left this morning. It was particularly difficult saying goodbye today. The four of us hadn't been together in a while so it was such a special visit. I hated to see them pull away in the cab, but I hope it was Amelia's last visit and that Thatcher and I will be home soon. I know it's mother's day, but BJ is such a good daddy and has taken up his role as Mr. Mom so well. I can really tell he and Amelia have bonded :). Here are a few pics from the weekend.
Outside of the cafeteria
Watching a movie with her new earphones
Amelia got a new bug catching game
Thatcher loves puffs!
Since they arrived Thursday, I did not have time to post that Thatcher's lab results from Thursday's clinic were good! This is great news. I must say, I was nervous since last time Amelia came up, Thatcher's labs were not good and he was hospitalized. Thatcher is gaining weight, eating well, and his blood pressure is being managed with medicine. They changed the dressing on his pick line (he does not like this poor guy!). We will go to clinic tomorrow to have them take it out since he had another negative CMV reading (meaning that through the high immunosuppression, the CMV, and other viruses that can creep up, did not) and has not used the line in over a week.


Our next clinic visit is Thursday. A few more good ones should lead to us being released back to Vandy (**fingers crossed). It should also mean clinic visits may become fewer and farther between. The plan is to gradually reduce the steroids and hope that this does not result in rejection.

3 comments:

  1. Jess! I love this post. We are blessed to have such a great mom! Hope you and Thatcher come home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johnny and I were so thrilled to get to see BJ and Amelia today and to hear all of the good news they brought home. We can't get over how Amelia is looking more and more like you, Jessie! And what a smart little thing she is! And I'd swear that she has grown at least 2" since we last saw her.
    It is so great to hear the difference in BJs voice when he speaks about Thatcher! He sounds more like himself. We are so looking forward to seeing you and Thatcher come home. You are such a wonderful Mom. Johnny says you are the angel who gave life to his grandson twice! And that makes you pretty darn special!

    ReplyDelete