Monday, May 23, 2011

We're Home

We arrived home, back in the great state of Tennessee, around midnight Friday night. The ten hour drive went surprisingly well. Thatcher slept the first couple of hours and we only had to stop and take breaks a handful of times. It all kind of felt like a dream really. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it was one of those days we had been looking forward to for so long and it had finally come.

We came home to a banner, ribbons, and balloons...thank you Aunt Jenny, Uncle Gabe, and kiddos! Amelia was excited to see me and has been so loving. Honestly, the first night back was rough. Thatcher did not want to go back to sleep once we arrived and was completely freaked out. Who knows, but I do not think he remembered the house. He kept staring at the ceiling fans and was completely distracted at first. I felt like I was in slow motion all day Saturday. Mom watched the kids so I could nap (thank you!) and we had several visitors come by and bring food.


BJ and I have been living separate lives the past 2 months that we are now trying to re-merge. It was only 2 months so things didn't change completely, but Thatcher is a different kid and we've both been doing things our own way. I just kind of observed BJ and Amelia over the weekend but today was my first day with the kids. It went great, and I really enjoyed it. The cicadas are out in full force and have been here to welcome me back too :).

We've only been home 3 days now but things seems to be falling in line already. Thatch is sleeping well at night, only getting up around 1am for a bottle then again early morning. He doesn't nap much, but I think he is just too busy! He pulled up to his feet Saturday, is crawling all over, loves pulling the magnets off the fridge, gets in the middle of Amelia's toys...all normal little brother, baby stuff. So wonderful!


We have an appointment with his pediatrician tomorrow since he missed his 9 month well check and an appointment with the liver doctor Friday. He still needs lab work once a week while he is being weaned off the Prednisone. The pediatrician will assess him for any developmental issues, but I'm not particularly worried...I think he is doing great! We feel overwhelmed with blessings that our life could be this good again. It is great to see Thatcher feeling so well, back at home.

4 comments:

  1. So excited for you that you are home to be with all of your babies! I know it was a great homecoming and I'm glad you got the proper welcome from the cicadas. LOL They are driving me crazy! So loud and dive bombing my car. I bet Thatcher is going to get adjusted quickly to the house again. He looks so great and is really plumping up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We REALLY enjoyed our visit last night. Amazing how quickly Thatcher is changing. He is so active - you're really going to have your hands full when he starts walking! It's so good to see him this way. And that Amelia is such a smart little girl! I love how she repeats everything that anyone says. AND she pronounces everything so properly! Love that child!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, you don't know me but I met your Mom & Dad when we were in Pittsburgh at the same time as you. My Dad had liver surgery the same day you & Thatcher did. My Mom & three sisters basically spent the day with your parents pacing the halls with worry during the operations. Your Dad shared with us your story and gave us a copy of this link. I’ve been watching your progress and I’m so happy to hear that Thatcher is home and both of you are doing great. Our Dad’s surgery was a success, too. He had liver cancer and they got it all out. His last blood test revealed no cancer markers at all so we thank God each and every day.

    I just wanted to share what a blessing your parents were to us that week in the hospital. My Mom, sisters and I still talk about how much your parents helped us. Your Dad’s smile was like a gift from heaven. We would be near tears and he would smile and give us words of encouragement. There was something bonding about that, when you know exactly how the other person feels when you feel scared and worried because people you love more then anything in the world are going through what all of you went through. Your Dad is an angel on earth. During the actual surgery day your Mom was with Thatcher for most of the day and your Dad is what kept us going. My family talks about you all often. I’ve been praying for all of you ever since.

    This morning I felt the need to check your blog to see how you and Thatcher are doing. I can’t wait to report to my Mom & sisters how well you all are doing. Praise God!

    Please tell your Dad & Mom that Carol Musser (my Mom) and all 4 of her daughters from Ohio say hello. Please tell them that our Dad is cancer free and doing well. We all feel very blessed, as I’m sure you can relate with the miracle you’ve been living. Thank you for sharing your story with this blog, it’s a blessing to whoever reads it.
    God Bless!

    Sandy Wade

    sandy.wade@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete